Sunny days + pasty skin = a beauty no-no! We reveal the products that will get you glowing, whether you want to tan now, tomorrow or even next week.
Planning ahead for that summer festival? Seven days gives you time to build a pro tan slowly, so shop for everyday gradual lotions that build up a natural glow. Fab for fake tanning phobes, they’re really easy to use (just apply like a body cream after your shower) and let you control your colour.
Great for dry skin, Bondi Sands Gradual Tan Lotion is enriched with aloe vera and vitamin E to keep you smooth and tanned longer.
Our pick: Bondi Sands Gradual Tan Lotion 375ml, £11.99, Boots
Self tan mousse
Planning on wearing your new summer dress and need a tan ASAP? Mousses and gels are designed to fast-track your glow over four to eight hours, and dry really quickly. Perfect if you’re in a hurry and need to dress fast. Lots come with a mitt – use it to help the colour go on evenly.
A fab pre-holiday tanner, Vita Liberata’s pHenomenal 2-3 Week Tan Mousse tans skin instantly and lasts at least a fortnight.
Our pick: Vita Liberata pHenomenal 2-3 Week Tan Mousse 125ml, £37.50, John Lewis
Wash-off self tan
Want to get your glow on before a big night out? Keep a wash-off product handy. Great for giving skin an instant glow and a good option if you’re nervous about making mistakes – just rinse away with soap and water, and start again.
James Read’s Body Foundation Wash-off Tan takes seconds to apply and sticks around all day. It’s great at covering blemishes, too.
Our pick: James Read Body Foundation Wash-off Tan 100ml, £12, Boots
1. Don’t shave for 24 hours beforehand and ditch the deodorant. The tan can turn it green!
2. Exfoliate top-to-toe, then moisturise dry areas to help the colour glide over them.
3. Wear latex gloves or a mitt. Grubby looking fingernails are a tell-tale sign you’ve cheated.
4. To avoid smudging, apply your tan from the feet upwards using long sweeping motions.
5. Remove your gloves and use cotton wool pads to tan the back of your hands.
All products subject to availability